Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Jesse Williams will undergo kidney surgery after being diagnosed with papillary type 2 cancer.
The team announced Monday that the young defensive lineman, who missed all of his first two seasons with the team because of a knee injury, has a disease that makes up 10 to 15 percent of all kidney cancers.
Williams’ agent, Rick Smith, told The News Tribune that doctors found the cancerous cells last week. It is not immediately known how far the cancer has progressed. Smith said Williams will have his surgery “soon.”
“Although disappointing, I am a fighter and will handle this,” the 6-foot-3, 325-pound defensive tackle and native of Australia said in a release from the team. “I am going to focus on my health and fighting this battle with a return to football as my ultimate goal. Thank you for your thoughts and support. Go Hawks!”
Later Monday, as the news of his fight spread, Williams tweeted: “Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. Appreciate the Support From all Over the World! Ready for What’s Coming, Recovery is up next..#MonstarStrong”
The team also quoted general manager John Schneider: “Jesse is an extraordinarily tough individual who has overcome a great deal in his life and we will support him in any way possible. He is in our thoughts and prayers.”
The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a renowned treatment and research center in New York, defines papillary type 2 cancer as representing “more than one category of disease but, as a group, are much more aggressive and may follow an unpredictable growth pattern.”
The cancerous cells have been found in Williams’ main kidney area, as opposed to related tubes.
It’s not presently known how soon into the disease doctors found Williams’ cancer or when and where his surgery will take place; the Seahawks referred those questions to his agent. Smith did not return messages.
Seattle drafted Williams, nicknamed “The Monstar,” in the fifth round in 2013 out of Alabama and, before that, Arizona Western College. The 24-year-old was born on Thursday Island in the Australian state of Queensland.
Dolphins’ DEAL FOR TANNEHILL GOOD NEWS FOR Hawks’ WILSON?
The Dolphins re-signed quarterback Ryan Tannehill to a six-year contract reportedly worth $96 million, with up to $45 million guaranteed including future roster bonuses. The deal includes the 2015 and 2016 seasons for which he was already under contract.
Which begs the question: if Miami gives a QB who has a sub-.500 record and has never won a playoff game that much guaranteed, how much does the market now dictate Russell Wilson (42-14 as an NFL starter with two Super Bowl appearances and a league championship) can get guaranteed from the Seahawks?
Certainly far more than Tannehill. Perhaps above the $54 million Aaron Rodgers of Green Bay has right now leading NFL players in guaranteed cash inside a contract for 2015.
The bar — maybe more accurately the floor — has been set for Wilson.
SEAHAWKS ADD WR TO OFFSEASON ROSTER
Seattle added some depth at wide receiver, but it wasn’t Kasen Williams.
The Seahawks waived-injured running back Demitrius Bronson from Kentwood High School and signed wideout Deshon Foxx to its 90-man roster.
Foxx tried out with the Seahawks during their rookie minicamp two weekends ago. He had 73 career receptions for the University of Connecticut.
Bronson signed last June as a rookie free agent and spent most of 2014 on the Seahawks’ practice squad.