The Sounders reported this afternoon that they have gone over the 62,000 mark on ticket sales for their match against San Jose tomorrow night, which is the final home game of the regular season and will include fan-appreciation giveaways and a postgame tribute to goalkeeper Kasey Keller.
Fun with numbers:
* This will be the largest Sounders crowd ever for a league match -- MLS or NASL. Or USL.
* This crowd could be neck-and-neck with the crowd at Husky Stadium tomorrow afternoon for the UW-Colorado game. In its first three home games this season, the Huskies have drawn 58,088 for Eastern Washington, 63,252 for Hawaii, and 60,437 for Cal.
Never miss a local story.
* Among the current Pac-12 schools, only USC and Washington averaged more than 62,000 fans last season.
* Even in the football-mad SEC, three schools -- Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Vandebilt -- average fewer than 62,000 fans per game.
* So far this season, six NFL teams draw less than 62,000 per game: Jacksonville, Arizona, Miami, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati.
* The largest crowd ever to watch an NBA game (not counting All-Star games) is 61,983 -- set in the Silverdome for a Celtics-Pistons game in 1988.
* Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said this morning that this will be the largest non-international-friendly crowd he has coached before since the 2002 MLS Cup. And while Schmid may have been right when he said, he was wrong by afternoon when Sounders ticket sales surpassed the 61,316 that watched Los Angeles beat host New England in the 2002 MLS Cup.
* Sounders beat reporter Josh Mayers of the Seattle Times makes the pretty cool point that this crowd "will be larger than any in the EPL this weekend. With Man Utd on the road, no other stadium holds more than 62K."
*The great Alan Hinton -- former Sounders and Tacoma Stars coach -- expands on that, speculating it could be the largest soccer crowd in the world tomorrow. (Although Josh flicked some cold water on that, citing Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.) (But still... ... by any measure, what is going to happen Saturday at CenturyLink Field is amazing.)