Below some notes and quotes from tonight's MLS All-Star Game, a 3-1 win over Bayern Munich.
With his sixth goal in the MLS All-Star Game, Landon Donovan became the all-time leader in All-Star goals scored with six (he was tied with Brian McBride). It was the first goal scored in an All-Star Game for Donovan since 2002, and his first in the MLS vs. The World format.
· Donovan was named the Volkswagen MLS All-Star MVP. It was the second time he was named the All-Star Game's MVP, also winning the honor in 2001.
· For the third time in the last five All-Star Games, the international opposition scored the opening goal within the first 10 minutes (Manchester United, 2010, 1'; AS Roma, 2013, 4')
Never miss a local story.
· For the sixth time in the last seven All-Star Games, the international opposition scored the opening goal of the match (they have won three of those)
· It was the second time the MLS All-Stars came from behind to win the game after conceding first. In 2008, West Ham United FC took the lead, before the MLS All-Stars came back to win 3-2.
· Nick Rimando made five saves in his 45 minutes of play, the second-highest number of saves by an MLS All-Star goalkeeper in the current MLS vs. The World format (Kevin Hartman, 9, 2002 vs. CD Guadalajara)
POST-MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTE SHEETMLS ALL-STARS HEAD COACH CALEB PORTEROn the overall experience of having the All-Star Game in Portland:"It was incredible. Obviously, the last couple days, to work with the quality that I was able to work with, I was like a kid in a candy store. As coaches, you relish the opportunity to work with the highest level possible. These guys were true professionals. Over the last several days, I got to see how they work. They're class."
On the quality of the game itself:"It was great to play the game the way we did. People talk about the result, but for me, that's secondary. I thought we played good football. We played out of the back, you saw that. We didn't sit back. We didn't try to destroy the game. We scored two great goals. Some of the sequences we put together, I thought, were fantastic."
On the atmosphere in the stadium:"I thought it was a fun game. Exciting. Our fans, everybody, were tremendous. I thought they really added to the atmosphere and made it a wonderful night and a great celebration for our sport in this country, this league, Major League Soccer, and, more than anything, the players that we have, the commodities that we have in our league."
FC BAYERN MÜNCHEN HEAD COACH PEP GUARDIOLAOn the MLS All-Stars and a possible rematch:"We tried to play and congratulations to the MLS. I hope they invite us next year so we can try and to make the revenge. I will prepare a little bit better and we will be sure of what is going on and we will prepare much better. We will do it; I hope our invitation is coming."
On the growth of soccer in America:"I don't think there is another country to talk about their sports. They have the best golfers in the world, OK now is Rory McIlroy, but the best golfers are American golfers. The swimming, tennis, basketball, American football and baseball. So, they are the best. I think the football is getting better year by year and the federation is making a very, very good job and I think the teams are getting better; physical, stronger. But, I think it's still remains a step below the big clubs in Europe and South America but that is normal. In South America and Europe it is cultural. You just have to try and see what you can do to make it better."
On if the game against the All-Stars was helpful:"Yeah. We played very, very well in the first half but in the second half we can change players and we played against 22 players because in the second half they played with 11 new players that were stronger and faster, and good quality. All of them, they have good quality that's why they are the big player s in the MLS. It was a good test for us but we realize what will happen this year, so hopefully for our team it was one big test. In the second half, we stayed focused, we stay in the game until your legs go. We stay on the field and in the last 10-15 minutes, the new players in the first game in the last three weeks. But 11 vs. 11 with our best players we play much, much better."