Casey Kasem’s body no longer at Tacoma funeral home

It appears Casey Kasem’s body was removed from a Tacoma funeral home before a Pierce County judge signed a temporary restraining order Wednesday forbidding such a move.

The location of the radio legend’s remains was not publicly known Friday.

A Pierce County death certificate issued for Kasem indicates a funeral home in Montreal was prepared to accept his remains, but the news website MailOnline reported Friday that employees at the Urgel Bourgie Funeral Homes said they had no record of any arrangements being made for the acceptance of Kasem’s body.

Scott Winship, a Tacoma attorney representing Kasem’s daughter, Kerri Kasem, said he learned Thursday that the remains of the longtime host of “American Top 40” were no longer at the Gaffney Funeral Home on South Yakima Avenue and might have been taken from there at the request of his wife, Jean Kasem, as early as Monday.

“Who knows where the body may be at this time?” Winship said Friday. “Jean is being tight-lipped with information.”

An attempt to reach a Seattle attorney representing Jean Kasem was unsuccessful Friday. He declined to comment Thursday about the issuance of the temporary restraining order.

The news that Kasem’s body was no longer in Tacoma was the latest twist in the sad saga involving his second wife, Jean, and his children from his first marriage, including Kerri.

They feuded over the past few months of his life over access to him and over his health care.

Jean Kasem spirited her husband out of California and to Silverdale earlier this year, where his health deteriorated. He ultimately was hospitalized in Gig Harbor and died there June 15 at age 82.

This month, Kerri Kasem petitioned Pierce County Superior Court for a temporary restraining order forbidding Jean Kasem from removing her father’s body from the Gaffney Funeral Home.

Kerri Kasem said in a declaration filed in court that she wanted an autopsy performed on her father and that she feared Jean Kasem might thwart the effort by removing the body from Washington or having it cremated.

Judge Ronald Culpepper signed the temporary restraining order Wednesday, but, it appears, that was too late, and Kasem’s body was gone.

Winship said Friday that his client does not wish to pursue the case in Pierce County any further, calling it moot now that Kasem’s remains no longer are in Pierce County.

The legal maneuvering now might switch back to California, where an investigation is underway in Santa Monica into whether Casey Kasem was the victim of elder abuse in the months prior to his death.

Related stories from Tacoma News Tribune