Business

Smoke alarms save family, dogs from early-morning house fire in Kent

Firefighters battled an early-morning house fire on New Year’s Day in Kent.
Firefighters battled an early-morning house fire on New Year’s Day in Kent. Courtesy

A house fire early Monday gave a rough start to the new year for a Kent family.

The residents were awakened shortly before 5 a.m. by smoke alarms going off in the two-story house in the 11800 block of Southeast 261 Place, according to a news release from Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the home, with the first-floor family room engulfed.

Three adults and two dogs inside escaped unharmed.

The fire was blamed on a sofa positioned too close to a natural gas-fireplace insert. Damage to the home, described as extensive smoke and heat damage in the release, was estimated at $300,000.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Debbie Cockrell: 253-597-8364, @Debbie_Cockrell

  Comments