If you’re traveling this summer – and assuming you want to protect your identity and money – the information services firm Experian has some facts and some advice.
“Vacations give people the perfect chance to relax and stop thinking about everyday life, and that’s something identity thieves count on to make it easier to commit their crimes,” said Guy Abramo, president of Experian Consumer Services.
Some precautions to take before your trip:
• 47 percent of travelers do not remove unnecessary credit cards from their wallets. Experian advises that travelers carry only what they need.
• 55 percent do not stop mail delivery. So stop mail delivery, because an overflowing mailbox signals that you are away.
• 39 percent notify credit and debit card providers that they’ll be traveling, and only 32 percent notify their banks. Make the notifications.
• 62 percent do not store copies of sensitive information at home in case it is lost on the road. Write it down and put it in a safe place.
• Consider enrolling with an identity-monitoring service.
While you’re on the trip:
• Only 38 percent of travelers lock sensitive information in a hotel safe. Use the safe.
• 65 percent of travelers post pictures of their whereabouts on social media. How many people do you want to know that you’re away?
• 72 percent of travelers use public Wi-Fi. Your data may not be secure.
• Only 21 percent of people enable a lost-cellphone app. If your cellphone is lost, you’ll wish you had the app.
When you return:
• Only 37 percent of travelers check their bank and credit card statements for fraud. Check your statements.
And other than all that, bon voyage, have a pleasant journey.
“We usually come for the crafts and to hear the music, but I think I’ll have a corn dog. They sure look good,” Pam Rathbun said.
She was referring to Hand Dipped Corn Dogs of the World booth, owned and operated by Jim Antram of Edgewood. His parent company, Irish Man Enterprises, also operates the Ice Cream Float Gazebo at the center of the food area.
Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/06/26/3859202/taste-of-tacoma-has-7-corn-dog.html#storylink=cpy