Local

Fire at Orting High School causes late start at schools

Police tape blocks the entrance to the gym at Orting High School on Thursday morning.
Police tape blocks the entrance to the gym at Orting High School on Thursday morning. lwong@thenewstribune.com

A fire at Orting High School on Thursday damaged the gym and caused a late start for all schools in the district.

A boiler malfunction started the fire, Orting Valley Fire & Rescue Chief Zane Gibson said.

The blaze was reported about 4:40 a.m. and crews from Orting Valley, Graham, Central Pierce and East Pierce deparments responded to the campus at 320 Washington Ave. N.

By 5:40 a.m., the fire was out.

“Assessment is being made for cause and damage,” according to the Orting School District.

Fire officials said the fire appears to have started in the HVAC room and moved to the gymnasium.

“The sprinkler system did its job and kept the fire confined to a small area,” Gibson said.

“I always like to promote sprinklers,” he added with a laugh.

Administrators said all schools will start two hours late because of the district’s integrated bus system.

Staff writer Kenny Ocker contributed to this report.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653

  Comments