Firefighters resolve ‘substantial natural gas leak’ at Tacoma Costco
The Tacoma Costco was evacuated Sunday morning as firefighters responded to a “substantial natural gas leak” inside the building, said Tacoma Fire Department spokesman Joe Meinecke.
The gas leak was reported shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday and firefighters and quickly upgraded to a full response. At one point there were about 30 firefighters on scene.
Meinecke said the leak was caused by an accident inside the building. Firefighters shutdown threats to igniting the gas and then ventilated the building.
About 30 Costco employees were evacuated from the building located at 2219 S. 37th Street. The store planned to open on time Sunday at 10 a.m.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.