Fight leads to shooting of two students at Graham-Kapowsin High School
A teenager accused of shooting two students outside Graham-Kapowsin High School last week surrendered to authorities Monday, Pierce County sheriff’s deputies reported.
The 16-year-old turned himself in at the Remann Hall juvenile detention center in Tacoma, sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. He was expected to be booked for investigation of first-degree assault and drive-by shooting, Troyer said.
Further details were not immediately available.
Also Monday, two other teens suspected of taking part in the shooting were released from custody without being charged.
The Pierce County Prosecutor’s Office announced the news in a statement released by spokesman James Lynch.
“The investigation is still ongoing with a number of detectives still working to get more information,” Lynch said. “In the meantime, the two teens will be released at some point today, NCF, which means no charges filed pending further investigation.”
The two 17-year-olds were arrested last week after the Dec. 5 incident near the school.
Sheriff’s deputies said a group of teens had gathered after the final school bell for a fistfight. The fight never took place, but someone in a car leaving the gathering fired shots into the crowd. Two boys, 17 and 16, were hit but survived.
The shooting resulted in a large police response at the school.
A judge had ordered the pair held for 72 hours without charges while detectives investigated. The clock ran out on that hold Monday.
“We don’t have everything we need to support the charge, and the 72 hours is up,” Lynch told The News Tribune in an interview.
Deputies still are seeking one other teen for questioning, Troyer said.