Overnight fire damages Olympia hot-tub business

A blaze at South Sound Spas, located at 3653 Pacific Avenue SE in Olympia, caused extensive smoke and heat damage Monday night, Olympia Deputy Fire Chief Greg Wright said.

The Olympia Fire Department was dispatched to the scene about 9:20 p.m., after a passing motorist saw smoke coming from the building and called 911. The motorist also tried to contact the owner of the property, Frank Schnarr, Wright said.

Firefighters could smell toxic smoke when they arrived on scene, Olympia Battalion Chief J.D. Young said. The smoke possibly contained chlorine and muriatic acid that is used in spas and hot tubs and was likely stored on the premises, Young added.

The first arriving engine found fire at the front entrance and smoke throughout the business, according to a news release.. The fire was quickly knocked down and then firefighters searched the building for fire extension, the release stated.

Chief Wright said he is not sure of the extent of the fire’s damage to the business, but added, “smoke and heat damage will be a problem for the owner.” Young said the fire was not fully-involved.

“Unfortunately, heat and smoke damaged much of the pool chemical stock and many of the repair parts,” the release stated.

The fire was out shortly after 9:40.

Olympia Fire Department responded with 4 engines, 1 ladder truck, 2 medic units, and a command unit. Lacey Fire District 3 and South Bay Fire Protection District 8 both responded to the scene with Olympia. Additional units from Fire District 8 and one unit from McLane Black Lake Fire District 9 handled other calls for Olympia during the fire. There were no injuries to firefighters.

The business was unoccupied when the fire started.

Olympia Fire Department remain on the scene Monday night to investigate the fire and assist the owner in securing the building.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. Until the owner can evaluate the damage to the chemicals and stock, a damage estimate is unavailable.

Schnarr could not be reached for comment Monday night.