How and where to recycle that dried-out tree

When the Christmas tree loses its cheer and has become a fire hazard in the New Year, here’s where to dump it:

• Pierce County residents can recycle unflocked Christmas trees in their container if they have yard waste collection service, and other residents can recycle trees for free if they haul them to transfer stations in Pierce County.

• Tacoma residents and businesses can get rid of undecorated and unflocked trees by taking them to the landfill at 3510 S. Mullen St. Except for Thursday, New Year’s Day, when it is closed, hours are between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. through Jan. 25. Residents also can cut up trees and place them in their brown yard-waste containers for pickup.

• Puyallup residential utility customers can recycle their trees by placing them curbside by 7 a.m. on Jan. 5.

• Undecorated and unflocked trees will be collected 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Jan. 3-4 at 1030 Roe St. in Steilacoom, for a suggested donation of $3 to Boy Scout Troop 71.

• Orting, Milton and Ruston have special collection programs. Residents can contact their city hall or their waste disposal company for more information.

• Auburn residents whose garbage is collected by Waste Management or Republic Services can leave their trees (chopped into 3-foot sections) by the curb on their garbage day Jan. 5-9. Property managers or owners of multifamily homes must schedule a pickup day.