Three people safely escaped their Parkland home early Wednesday after an explosion rocked their house and started a fire, according to Central Pierce Fire & Rescue.
The blaze was reported about 4:45 a.m. near 104th Street South and Barns Lane.
“There were three residents sleeping at the time,” Assistant Chief Ed Hrivnak said. “The explosion and smoke alarms woke them.”
It took firefighters about 25 minutes to get the fire under control.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Signs of the explosion were evident: a window was blown out and a screen was found 40 feet away from the house, Hrivnak said.
Investigators determined that a natural gas leak from an appliance started the fire.