Local

Fox Island brush fire started by sparks inside a barrel

A Fox Island brush fire was started by an unattended burn barrel on Wednesday, Aug. 17.
A Fox Island brush fire was started by an unattended burn barrel on Wednesday, Aug. 17. Courtesy

A brush fire that charred a field and fences on a Fox Island man’s property started when he left a burning barrel unattended, according to Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One.

The fire was reported shortly after noon Wednesday and burned a 200 x 400 foot area of grass.

Although the blaze was quickly spreading toward the home, crews were able to contain the flames and keep them from reaching any buildings on the property.

The homeowner said he walked away from the burn barrel to get more cardboard for the fire. When he returned, he saw several small fires had started in the field.

Investigators said sparks from the fire inside the barrel escaped and ignited in the brush.

Pierce County enacted a burn ban Thursday.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653

  Comments