Local

Neighbors heard his screams and kicked down door, but man’s life still in danger after blaze

A door where neighbors forced their way into an apartment in which a man was critically injured by a fire.
A door where neighbors forced their way into an apartment in which a man was critically injured by a fire. Courtesy

An Auburn man suffered life-threatening burns Monday after a fire broke out in his apartment, according to the Valley Regional Fire Authority.

Neighbors heard the man screaming just before 5 a.m. and ran to his second-floor unit in the 500 block of East Main Street.

After smelling smoke, they called 911, kicked the door open and used a fire extinguisher to douse flames.

They helped carry the man out of the apartment before police officers moved the man downstairs to wait for paramedics. The man, who is in his 40s, was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and was in critical condition.

Firefighters searched the man’s 500-square-foot apartment but have not determined what started the blaze.

No other units were damaged.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653

  Comments