Police Beat: Out-of-towners shocked to learn clothes are required at Tacoma park

Editor’s note: Compiled from reports to Tacoma police.

June 22: The couple tried to couple in public. The audience didn’t applaud.

The uproar started in the 5400 block of North Pearl Street, near a go-kart track. Families and children were coming and going. One man noticed an unusual sight: a naked woman, parading around the parking lot by a row of cars.

The woman was blond, 49, 5-3, 130 pounds and nude. She walked to the front of her car, swung one leg onto the hood and relieved herself. A man stood next to her, grabbing or fondling — the witness wasn’t sure.

The witness shouted at the pair. The woman put on a pair of pants and nothing else. The couple drove into the main entrance of Point Defiance Park.

Inside the park, families came and went. Another witness saw the woman step out of her car, still topless. She walked around, unconcerned. Another witness yelled at her to put something on. The woman found a shirt and put it on.

The couple walked to a grassy area nearby and rolled together in the grass.

Officers drove to the scene, responding to three dispatch calls from witnesses. They found the couple in the grass. Both appeared to be drunk.

The woman admitted she’d been walking around with her shirt off.

“(She) stated that in Rainier, WA, where she’s from, this is apparently normal behavior,” the police report states.

The man, 54, didn’t say much, apart from denying he’d done anything wrong.

Officers arrested the woman and booked her into the Fife City Jail on suspicion of indecent exposure.

June 25: The woman was pierced and peeved. She called the officers pigs. Her friends were weary of her rants.

The trouble started with a call from the Martin Luther King Jr. Housing Development Association and a complaint of a trespasser who was cursing at everyone and refusing to leave. Officers drove to 1147 Tacoma Ave. and found six people milling around.

One of them, a woman, matched the description in the dispatch call. She was 25, 5 feet 10, thin, with close-cropped hair and tattoos. She had more than 15 piercings in her face, lips and nose.

As officers arrived, the woman glanced at them and started walking away.

“Where are you going?” one officer asked. The woman kept walking. The officer told her to hold up. She didn’t.

The officer turned to another man standing nearby.

“What’s her problem?” the officer asked.

“I don’t know,” the man said and shrugged.

The officer called to the woman again, telling her to stop. She didn’t. The officer followed, shouting at her to stop. The woman started running.

The officer shouted again, telling the woman he would stop her with a stun gun.

The woman ran a little more and stopped. She turned to the officer and unloaded a stream of curses.

“You’re gonna beat up a girl?” she said, adding adjectives and epithets. “What are you doing? Get away from me!”

The officer told the woman to get on the ground. She backed up and tripped. The officer closed in and cuffed her. The woman yelled about fascists and the KKK.

The officer told her she was under arrest.

“Pig! Fascist! Racist!” the woman yelled, among other things.

Two more officers arrived to secure the scene. The woman kept yelling.

The officers told her to quiet down. She turned up the volume and said she didn’t care.

Officers spoke to the witnesses, still milling around and watching. Did they know her? What was her problem?

Several witnesses responded in unison: “She has authority issues,” they said. They said she tended to go off on people and start cursing and yelling.

“We were hoping you were gonna taze her,” one said. “That would have made our night.”

Another witness chimed in, saying, “All she had to do was stop. We all know the drill.”

On the way to the Fife City Jail, the woman ranted. The officers were fascists. She had a 4.0 grade-point average. She worked helping children in wheelchairs. She’d taken a law class.

Officers booked her into the jail on suspicion of criminal trespassing and obstructing a law enforcement officer.

June 22: The husband was talking to his ex-wife, but his new wife thought the conversation lasted a bit too long.

That led to a fight that spilled from Sixth Avenue to the parking lot of Wilson High School. Officers responded to the dispatch call shortly after midnight and found the couple in the lot, next to a 2003 Volkswagen Passat.

Officers talked to the woman first. She was 31 and crying. She said she and her husband had been having dinner and drinks at a restaurant in the 2900 block of Sixth Avenue. They started arguing about the husband chatting with his ex at the place across the street.

The argument got hotter. The woman walked out of the restaurant. The husband went to the place across the street. He sometimes played music there with his children, and his ex had come to watch the night’s performance.

The husband looked out the window and saw his wife leaving the first restaurant. He ran out to talk to her.

The fight started again, according to both parties. The husband grabbed at his wife’s purse to try to take her keys.

The wife said the same thing. She said her husband was “wasted.” She said she pulled away from him and slapped him. He shoved her, and she fell into a bush, scraping her finger.

A bystander shouted at the husband to leave the woman alone.

The husband admitted he’d slapped his wife but said he would deny it if police arrested her. He said he followed her in his car. She was walking to her own car. Again, he stepped out and tried to take her purse away.

The woman said her husband dragged her to his car and drove to the school parking lot where they could talk.

Based on the two accounts, the officer decided to take the husband in.

“You’re taking me to jail for a little cut on my wife’s finger?” the man asked.

The officer said yes — the man was under arrest. He was booked into the Fife City Jail on suspicion of fourth-degree assault.