UPDATE as of Wednesday: The fire appears to have been caused by unattended cooking, Tacoma Fire said. The estimated damage is $270,000, spread among six apartments.
Six adults and two children were displaced by the blaze, Tacoma Fire said, updating a previous count given.
Crews rescued a dog and a cat from the fire.
INITIAL POST: A family of four was displaced after a fire at a Tacoma apartment complex Tuesday, Tacoma Fire said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Crews responded to the Madrona Pointe Apartments at 3202 S. Mason Ave. just before 5 p.m., where they found fire showing from two units on the second floor.
They knocked the fire down, and as of 6 p.m. were finishing up at the scene.
One person was evaluated by medics and released at the scene. No was was seriously injured.
Tacoma Fire spokesman Joe Meinecke said about 50 people were evacuated, and were waiting outside to get back into the part of the complex affected by the fire.
The one adult and three children displaced by the blaze are being helped by the American Red Cross, Meinecke said.