Man accused in Lakewood rape charged with four felonies

A man suspected of climbing into the window of a Lakewood woman’s home and repeatedly raping her has been charged with four felonies.

Leonel Romero Ochoa, 33, pleaded not guilty Monday in Pierce County Superior Court to two counts first-degree rape and one count each of first-degree burglary and first-degree kidnapping.

Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered Ochoa jailed in lieu of $1 million bail.

Ochoa was arrested Friday after the woman, 26, managed to break free briefly, run outside and call for help, court records show. Neighbors called police, who found the woman partially unclothed and with red marks and scratches on her face, the records show.

The woman told police she was asleep in the house in the 5000 block of San Francisco Avenue with her preschool-aged daughter when she woke up about 3 a.m. to find a man standing over her.

“She believes he came in through an open window,” deputy prosecutor Scott Peters wrote in charging documents. “The victim stated she did not know the defendant personally but believed he was staying in the neighborhood with his brother.”

The woman asked the man what he was doing in her house, and he told her to be quiet, the records show.

Fearing for her daughter’s safety, the woman said she ran toward the front door but was caught in the living room.

“The defendant grabbed her by the hair and told her to be quiet,” the records show. “The defendant started punching and slapping her in the face, with both a closed fist and an open hand.”

The man then raped the woman and used his hands to choke her on the living room couch, the records show.

At one point, she coaxed him to stop by offering him a beer, and he followed her into the kitchen, charging documents state. After handing him a beer, she made another run for it.

She got outside, screamed for help and pounded on a neighbor’s door, the records state.

“The defendant caught her, grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back into her house,” Peters wrote.

He then raped and choked her again, the records state.

The man stopped the second time only when police knocked on the woman’s door, charging documents show. She ran outside and officers found Ochoa inside.

He declined to make a statement to police.

Related stories from Tacoma News Tribune