Federal Way man leads hourlong car chase

A 43-year-old Federal Way man, driving a stolen pickup truck, led police and Pierce County sheriff's deputies on a nearly hourlong pursuit Tuesday.

Puyallup police Cmdr. Bryan Jeter and Lt. Rick Adamson, of the sheriff's department, gave this account of the incident:

The chase began shortly after 3 p.m. when a Pacific police officer tried to pull the man over. The man headed south on Highway 167. He then drove west on eastbound Highway 512 lanes, before he tried to ram another vehicle with his pickup.

The man, who has several outstanding warrants, struck a sheriff's deputy's car after he tried to intervene. The deputy fired his gun at least three times at the man but did not wound him.

Still driving on 512, the man swerved at Puyallup officers who tried to set up spikes at two locations to stop him.

The man then headed east on westbound 410 lanes before he exited at 166th Avenue East. He spun out in the 5800 block of West Tapps Highway. A deputy and a Puyallup officer, who had stepped out of his car, ordered the man to get out of the pickup. The man drove at the officer, who fired his gun twice at the man but did not wound him.

The man continued onto Forest Canyon Road East where he sideswiped an oncoming vehicle towing a boat, causing his truck to spin around several times.

Using a squad car, an Edgewood police officer forced the man's truck into a ditch at the 15800 block of Forest Canyon Road. The man climbed out of his window and ran 400 yards into a wooded area before being caught by a Puyallup police dog shortly after 4 p.m.

Medics took the man to Tacoma General Hospital where he had surgery Tuesday night for wounds given by the police dog. He is being guarded, and will be booked into jail on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder, felony eluding, possession of stolen property and for his outstanding warrants.

Medics also took the deputy, whose car the man hit, to Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup. He was later released.

Paul Sand: 253-597-8872