Is woman suspected of hitting Fife police with car, shooting at cops dead?

The question is whether Yolanda Lund is dead.

Some of her loved ones say yes.

Investigators aren’t so sure.

Fife police officers have been looking for Lund since Aug. 11, when they say the 31-year-old Tacoma woman dragged an officer behind her SUV and shot at another officer during a high-speed pursuit on Interstate 5.

On Tuesday, Pierce County prosecutors issued a warrant for Lund’s arrest and charged her with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, drive-by shooting and eluding a law enforcement officer.

The assaults and drive-by shooting have “law enforcement victim aggravators,” which means she Lund could get more prison time if she’s convicted as charged.

Police on Wednesday identified the man believed to have been with Lund at the time of the incident as Phillip Conrad Gleason. The pair have been in the Elbe/Morton area since the shooting and may have fled to Idaho or Montana, Lt. Tom Thompson said.

The incident started Aug. 11 in the parking lot of a truck stop on Port of Tacoma Road.

Officers were responding to a report of an attempted robbery where a woman gave the description of a Ford Explorer found at the truck stop.

Police said an officer was standing inside the driver’s door when Lund suddenly drove backward, hitting and dragging the officer. Two other officers fired at the Explorer as it sped off.

Another officer in the area who had been searching for the woman who reported the attempted robbery pursued Lund onto southbound I-5 but ended the chase after at least two rounds were fired from the Explorer.

The Explorer later was found in Spanaway with bullet holes in the driver’s side front and rear doors, according to court records. Both passenger and driver’s side windows were shattered, as well as the rear hatchback window.

Police found dried blood on the front seat, center console and dashboard, leading them to believe Lund and Gleason had been shot.

The day after the shooting, friends started posting “rest in peace” messages to Lund’s Facebook page. Other comments indicated she might be hiding out.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office said it has no record of Lund.

Fife police said they believe the couple is alive and hiding out.

Deputy prosecutor Patrick Cooper, who is trying Lund’s case, said he filed charges because there’s no evidence Lund is dead.

“We’ve heard that,” Cooper said of the rumor. “There’s no confirmation that she’s dead.”

Andrew Kuntz, 23, has pleaded not guilty to rendering criminal assistance after he allegedly was caught trying to bring Lund medical supplies. He told detectives he saw Lund after the incident and knew she’d been shot, according to court documents.

Several tipsters identified Lund as a suspect in the shooting after police released surveillance photographs taken from inside a store shortly before the incident.

This is not the first time Lund has run afoul of the law.

She has convictions for burglary, unlawful possession of a stolen vehicle, first-degree possessing stolen property, unlawful possession of a controlled substance and second-degree identity theft.

Lund is wanted by the state Department of Corrections for escaping community custody. Gleason is wanted in Pierce County for unlawful possession of a firearm and by the Idaho State Correctional Institute for parole violations.

Gleason has not yet been charged in the Fife incident.

Police said Lund and Gleason are considered armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information on their whereabouts is asked to call Fife police at 253-922-6633 or the Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS.