Police confirm suspect, find getaway car connected to failed Lakewood bank robbery

Officers had a suspect and getaway vehicle, but were still looking for a getaway driver Tuesday in connection to a botched Lakewood bank holdup that ended with an armored car guard shooting the robber in the head.

A 27-year-old man was dropped off at St. Joseph Medical Center with gunshot wounds after the failed robbery Monday, and investigators identified him Tuesday as the suspected robber, police spokesman Chris Lawler said.

Police expected him to survive and said officers were guarding him at the hospital.

The News Tribune does not generally name suspects before they have been charged with a crime.

Police Monday night found the getaway car in which they said the man fled the bank and traveled to the hospital.

Someone abandoned the Acura in a church parking lot near 112th Street East and D Street East in Parkland, and police impounded the car, which they identified as stolen from Puyallup, Lawler said.

Police searched a nearby house that they think is connected to the suspected robber, Lawler said.

Investigators thought they had identified the woman who drove the car after the attempted robbery and were looking for her Tuesday.

She’s described as black, in her 20s, with dark-rimmed glasses and a tight ponytail.

The armored car guard told investigators the robber walked into the breezeway of the Bank of America in the 9500 block of Bridgeport Way Southwest at about 2 p.m. and pointed a gun at him, at which point the guard fired, hitting him on the left side of the head and possibly in the leg, Lawler said.

Police said the getaway driver had to help the robber to the vehicle, as he limped and trailed blood while fleeing without any cash.

It wasn’t clear if the robber had been waiting to hold up the armored car or intended to rob the bank, Lawler said.

The guard who fired appeared to have acted appropriately police said, adding that their investigation of the shooting would be forwarded to prosecutors.

The guard works for Dunbar and had been at the bank for either a dropoff or pickup, Lawler said.

The company was not reachable for comment Tuesday.

Related stories from Tacoma News Tribune