No one was injured in a Lacey mobile home fire Friday afternoon except for a family of hamsters, according to the Lacey Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to a fire at the 6800 block of Martin Way at about 2:55 p.m. The fire started when a load of laundry caught fire in the dryer, said Battalion Chief Tim Hulfe.
No one was home at the time, and firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and search the home for pets. Firefighters found a family of hamsters — two adults and several babies. The adult hamsters recovered quickly with the help of oxygen, but one of the babies died, Hulfe said.
Firefighters often have to help dogs and cats who are injured in accidents or caught in fires, but helping hamsters is less common.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“I think this was officially my first hamster,” Hulfe said.