A fire that ravaged a Lakewood house Wednesday left eight people without a home and killed the family’s dog.
West Pierce firefighters were called to the 6900 block of Flora Street about 12:30 p.m. and found the house fully engulfed in flames.
A man at home at the time was able to escape and was treated at the scene for minor burns. The dog was trapped inside.
Crews extinguished the fire just before 1 p.m.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Investigators said the fire appeared to be accidental.
The man “was trying to start a fire in the fireplace,” Battalion Chief Hallie McCurdy said.