A Gig Harbor area turtle appeared to survive a fire that started when a heat lamp fell from its aquarium, according to Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One.
The blaze started about 5:30 p.m. Saturday at a home in the 15800 block of 14th Avenue Northwest.
The residence has a sprinkler system, but it had been altered by the owner and did not work as designed, Fire spokeswoman Nanette Tatom said.
The family called 911 when they returned to find smoke coming from the house.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The turtle was alive when crews left the scene, Tatom said.
Further details were not immediately available.