Police Beat: A school threat, a dog with no money, and a dozing couple

Nov. 6: The boy was 16, a sophomore. He didn’t have a gun. He was suspected of threatening to bring one to school.

Officers responded to the dispatch call from Mount Tahoma High School. They talked to the boy and an assistant principal. The principal said another principal thought the boy threatened to bring a gun to school.

The boy said that wasn’t what he said. He said his statement was, “If I wanted to bring a clip (gun) to school, I would.”

Officers asked the boy whether he planned to bring a gun to school. The boy said no.

The school security officer searched the boy and found a marijuana pipe with a crumb of weed inside, unburned. The boy started getting loud. He said he would sue the school. He was tired of the staff and the pigs.

The officer cuffed him and booked him into Remann Hall on suspicion of unlawful marijuana possession.

Nov. 6: The small dog sniffed around the aisles of the convenience store and didn’t buy anything. The store clerk wasn’t happy.

The clerk turned to the man who walked in with the dog and told him to pick it up. The dog couldn’t just roam around the store without a leash.

The man wore a black jacket, a gray shirt and blue jeans. He refused to pick up the dog. He said it was a service dog, with every right to be in the store.

Put it on a leash, the clerk said.

The man argued, getting louder, making a scene in front of the customers. The clerk told him to leave.

The man picked up the dog. The clerk started moving him toward the door. The man spat on him.

The clerk tried a double move: holding onto the man and calling police. The man pulled away and ran off.

Officers drove to the store in the 200 block of North I Street and spoke to the clerk. The clerk turned on a security video. The officers watched. The images matched the account the clerk had given. One officer started checking the surrounding area.

Two bystanders driving past the store had seen the man run away. They shouted at the officer and said the man was hanging around a few blocks away.

Officers tracked the man down. He was 36. He was still holding the dog. He denied spitting on the clerk.

The officer told him the incident was captured on video. The man switched his story and admitted spitting.

No one was around to take the dog. The officer cited the man for misdemeanor assault, released him and told him he was banned from the convenience store. The man said he understood.

Nov. 5: On the porch of the vacant house, the man and the woman slept. They weren’t supposed to be there.

An officer responded to a report of trespassing and drove to the 1200 block of South 13th Street. The man and the woman dozed next to each other. The officer woke them.

The woman was 66. The officer had seen her before — she was a regular on the streets. The man was 57. The officer didn’t recognize him.

What was his name? The man called himself James Jones. The officer ran the name through records and drew a blank.

Was that his real name?

The man said it was.

The officer noticed a pair of shoes on the ground next to the man, with a brown wallet tucked inside.

Was that the man’s wallet?


The officer picked up the wallet and looked at the driver’s license inside. The face on the license matched the man, but the name wasn’t Jones.

The officer ran the new name. It was tied to an arrest warrant for domestic violence and a no-contact order. The petitioner was the woman.

The man said he lied because he knew about the warrant and didn’t want to get arrested. The officer cuffed him.

The woman protested. She knew about the order, but she said she never asked for it. She said she wasn’t afraid of the man. She said she wouldn’t testify.

The officer drove the man to the Fife City Jail and booked him on the warrant along with suspicion of violating the no-contact order.