Crime

E-cigarette sparked Tacoma house fire that sent one to hospital

A house fire that left a man badly injured on Tuesday started when an electronic cigarette overheated and ignited a sofa, the Tacoma Fire Department said Wednesday.

The man remained hospitalized Wednesday, Tacoma Fire spokesman Joe Meinecke said. He was in critical condition with burns and smoke inhalation when rescued from a burning home near East 61st and M streets about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

His name and age have not been released.

The two-story house had been converted into six apartments. Five people were inside when the fire began, firefighters said. Two escaped on their own and another two were helped down ladders by firefighters.

Firefighters pulled the badly injured man from the burning structure.

Related stories from Tacoma News Tribune

  Comments