Lakewood man who served time for shooting cops now accused of drug crimes

A man who served 20 years in prison for shooting two Seattle police officers in 1991 has been arrested and charged with dealing large quantities of painkillers from his Lakewood home.

Aaron Glen Leigh, 46, pleaded not guilty Thursday in Pierce County Superior Court to unlawful delivery of a controlled substance, unlawful possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and three counts of illegally possessing a firearm.

Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered Leigh jailed in lieu of $1 million bail.

Lakewood police and the Thurston County Narcotics Task Force developed information recently that Leigh was a major importer and seller of oxycodone pills, court records show.

Detectives believe Leigh’s going rate was $875 for 35 pills.

Police arrested Leigh on Wednesday.

“He denied knowing anything about drugs, money or guns,” deputy prosecutor William Hurney wrote in a declaration of probable cause.

Investigators later searched his home and found hundreds of prescription pills, including 300 to 600 pills concealed inside a stuffed animal, court records show. They also found nearly 1,000 pills in a secret compartment in one of Leigh’s cars, the records show.

Police sought more search warrants after listening to phone calls Leigh made from jail in which he allegedly told acquaintances to remove drugs and other evidence from his home.

Investigators went to his house and found a man and woman there. They found hundreds more pills, three guns, two gold bars and $29,000 in cash in the couple’s car, court records show.

“The detained pair admitted to police that Leigh had called them and requested that they remove various items from his house,” Hurney wrote in his declaration.

Leigh is described in court records as “a dangerous person.”

In the Seattle case, he was convicted of second-degree assault for breaking the leg of a police informant and two counts of first-degree assault for shooting two police officers sent to arrest him.

Leigh also was shot during the confrontation with police, court records show.