Bail set at $1 million for man accused in Key Peninsula chase

A man accused of leading police on a Key Peninsula chase last week in a Home Depot rental truck is in jail pending $1 million bail.

Jeremy Foster, 29, pleaded not guilty Friday to trying to elude police, attempted vehicle theft, second-degree assault, unlawful gun possession, resisting arrest, driving with a suspended license, and third-degree possession of stolen property.

Court Commissioner Meagan Foley set his bail. Court records did not list an attorney for Foster.

Charging papers give this account of the pursuit:

A sheriff’s deputy tried to pull over a Home Depot rental truck that crossed the center line a couple of times, was going about 10 mph below the speed limit, and at one point stopped in the middle of the street shortly before 1 a.m. Thursday.

When the deputy turned on his lights, the rental truck reversed and then drove forward a couple of times, as though trying to ram the patrol car, before a passenger jumped out and fled.

The truck then took off. While being pursued, the driver, later identified as Foster, swerved around multiple spike strips the Sheriff’s Department put out. A deputy pulled up next to the truck to try to do a maneuver to stop it, but the driver swerved at the patrol car, and the deputy had to back off.

The driver eventually drove over a spike strip near the Purdy Spit, but instead of stopping, he started to weave on Purdy Drive Northwest and almost hit another car head-on. He continued into oncoming traffic on a state Route 16 ramp, and patrol cars boxed him in.

But Foster didn’t stop there.

He got out of the truck, ran up to a line of cars that had pulled over on the ramp, and tried to get into one.

That car’s driver, however, had other ideas, and instead locked the doors and drove off.

Deputies caught up with Foster at that point on foot, and when he failed to listen to commands and reached into his waistband, they shocked him with a stun gun.

Inside the truck they found a handgun, a stolen check, stolen mail that included gift cards, and fake identification. Investigators also learned that Foster’s license was suspended.