Bail set at $750,000 for man charged in Tacoma shooting

The gunshots sent two people fleeing into the night.

By the time Tacoma police arrived at the home in the 2700 block of Center Street, the victim was being helped by a friend who initially drove off in fear but then returned. The shooter was nowhere to be found.

Christopher Johnson, 36, is accused of arguing with the victim March 6 before shooting him three times.

Witnesses said the victim walked into Johnson’s home without knocking and the two men began arguing. The victim had allegedly bought marijuana from Johnson in the past.

Johnson told the victim to “get the (expletive) out of my house. I don’t want your money,” and threatened to shoot the victim if he didn’t leave, court records show.

Johnson’s friend who was inside the home sensed trouble was brewing and tried to leave but couldn’t because his car was blocked in. The victim’s friend was waiting in another car. When the two men heard three shots ring out, they fled shortly thereafter.

After Johnson demanded his friend’s car keys, the friend handed them over and ran down the driveway to call police.

The victim’s friend “was scared and drove away a short distance but then decided he had to come back to help his friend,” according to court documents.

Police found three shell casings on the ground near the victim. One bullet had been fired into the floor, indicating the victim may have been shot at least once while he was on the ground.

The victim is expected to survive.

Johnson turned himself in Sunday at the urging of his mother after hiding out after the shooting and possibly leaving the state temporarily.

He is charged with first-degree assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. Johnson pleaded not guilty Wednesday and remains jailed in lieu of $750,000.

Prosecutors said they might amend the charges to attempted murder after the investigation concludes.

Johnson has previous convictions for second-degree assault and second-degree malicious mischief.