Puyallup police called to home 76 times in a year

There’s a house on 15th Street Southeast in Puyallup where people come and go at all hours and police regularly cruise by to keep an eye on things.

Calling it a nuisance is an understatement.

In the last year, officers have gone there 76 times to recover stolen vehicles, break up domestic violence fights, serve warrants and arrest people on suspicion of theft, forgery and breaking protection orders.

“The house had obviously been a problem in the neighborhood,” police Capt. Scott Engle said Tuesday. “It became a haven for all types of criminal activity.”

Neighbors constantly complain about the noise, the blight, the shifty characters wandering around. A neighborhood watch group has long had the house in its sights.

Paramedics were summoned there March 25 for a heroin overdose.

Now, the owners of the house are in jail on drug charges and city code compliance officers have deemed the home unfit for living.

One of the owners, David Fowler, 42, pleaded not guilty Monday to unlawful use of a building for drug purposes and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.

His wife, 38-year-old Jennifer, is charged with the same counts but has not yet been arraigned.

When they were arrested March 31, Jennifer Fowler was out on bail on an unrelated case. She has four pending criminal cases in Pierce County.

She was charged in December in two cases of identity theft. She was charged in February with identity theft and forgery for allegedly stealing a check from her mother-in-law and cashing it for $200.

People arrested outside of the Fowlers’ house in the 800 block of 15th Street Southeast told police the couple asked visitors to steal items and would exchange them for methamphetamine or heroin, according to charging papers.

Both acknowledged drug activity at their home.

David Fowler “claimed he did not have the intestinal fortitude to put a stop to the narcotics activity,” records state.

“Jennifer said she had a ‘big heart’ and just couldn’t ask the people who were engaged in narcotics activity in her home to stop or leave,” prosecutors wrote. “She said she felt sorry for them.”