Land clearing and yard debris burning will be banned starting Monday in unincorporated Pierce and King counties.
Pierce County Fire Marshal Warner Webb said dry weather is prompting the ban.
Small recreational fires are allowed at campgrounds and on private property, as long as:
• The fire is in a metal or concrete pit, and not used to dispose of debris.
• The fire is no bigger than 3 feet across.
• The pit is 10 feet away from vegetation, 25 feet from any structures and 20 feet below any branches.
• Someone is watching the fire at all times with supplies to put it out. There must be a garden hose or at least 10 gallons of water.
• Winds are 5 miles per hour or less.
Residents in incorporated parts of the county can check with their local fire agencies for burning information.