Crime

Woman, 82, found dead inside burning duplex in University Place

West Pierce Fire & Rescue crews responded early Monday to a fatal fire in University Place. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
West Pierce Fire & Rescue crews responded early Monday to a fatal fire in University Place. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Courtesy

A woman’s body was found at a University Place house fire early Monday, firefighters reported.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office said 82-year-old Mary Ann Gough died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The blaze broke out about 3:30 a.m. in one unit of a duplex near Sunset Drive West and 40th Street West, said Jenny Weekes, spokeswoman for West Pierce Fire & Rescue.

Firefighters found the body inside.

People who lived in the other unit got out safely.

The cause of the blaze was under investigation.

Adam Lynn: 253-597-8644

adam.lynn@thenewstribune.com

@TNTAdam

  Comments