Fifteen people have applied to fill the yearlong council vacancy of Councilman Anders Ibsen.
Ibsen is taking a leave of absence to train as an officer in the Marines Corps reserves. His last council meeting is Tuesday, when the council will choose his stand-in. He will return to his council post in about a year. The deadline to apply was Thursday afternoon.
State law allows elected leaders to take a leave of absence to serve in the military. The last time a Tacoma elected official took a military leave was in 1944 when Tacoma Mayor Harry P. Cain served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
The applicants are:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Joseph Atkinson, a legislative aide in the state House who ran against Ibsen in the 2011 primary election for the District 1 seat.
• Denis Duggan Sr., a retired Boeing engineer .
• Foster Gibble, a former vice president and general manager of a multi-state manufacturing company and a board member at REACH Ministries.
• Chris Green, the vice president of the Economic Development Board for Tacoma-Pierce County.
• Sergio Hernandez, an instructor at Tacoma Community College.
• Nathe Lawver, a labor liaison who was chairman of Pierce County Democrats for four years.
• Joseph Lopez, an attorney in Seattle who served on the city’s Board of Ethics.
• Spiro Manthou, who was twice elected councilman of District 1 and is now a manager at Pierce Transit.
• Philip Miller, owner of a business that assists mortgage companies and banks.
• Marion “Morf” Morford, an instructor at Bates and Clover Park technical colleges and a News Tribune guest columnist
• Harold Moss, a former Tacoma mayor and Pierce County councilman.
• Kurt Olson, a terminal operator at U.S. Oil & Refining and former volunteer for Safe Streets.
• Jordan Rash, vice chairman of the North End Neighborhood Council and conservation director of Forterra. Rash is Ibsen’s preferred candidate.
• Karen Smitherman, a longtime teacher and administrator who Ibsen defeated in the 2011 general election for the District 1 council seat.
• Joseph Zawacki, owner of a lamp business and member of the Foss Waterway Development Authority board.
Ibsen told the council about his decision to join the Marines last month. Mayor Marilyn Strickland set up a fast-track process to select his interim replacement.
Applicant interviews will be held at noon Tuesday in the City Council chambers. The new member will be confirmed during the 5 p.m. meeting and could be sworn in after the new year.
Kate Martin: 253-597-8542 firstname.lastname@example.org