2 killed as winds topple trees, power lines

A falling tree killed a driver and a branch killed a 10-year-old girl Saturday as a windstorm whipped through the South Sound.

The girl who died was from the Burien area, police said. She was killed around noon at a birthday party in Federal Way, according to South King Fire and Rescue.

“She was at a friend’s house playing outside,” Assistant Chief Ed Plumlee said, “and a big limb from an alder tree snapped off and fell down and hit her directly.”

Another tree falling onto a moving car left a 3-year-old unharmed but killed the child’s father, Jamie Fay, 36, of Gig Harbor.

The tree hit the station wagon just before 10:45 a.m. on Gig Harbor’s Borgen Boulevard, Gig Harbor Police Chief Kelly Busey said.

Fay was the director of sales and marketing and assistant general manager at Chambers Bay, KemperSports director of communication B.R. Koehnemann confirmed Sunday. Fay worked at the University Place golf course since 2008.

Chambers Bay general manager Matt Allen declined to comment Sunday. Koehnemann said a statement would be released in the next couple of days.

Storm debris at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, including a tree that hit a parked car, injured four people during a triathlon there.

All four were in good condition at Madigan Army Medical Center, the Northwest Guardian reported.

The military base south of Tacoma halted the JBLM Deuces Wild Sprint and Olympic Triathlon. Word of the cancellation reached Ryan Engledow less than a mile from the finish line.

“There were pine needles hitting me in the face at about 20 miles per hour, and that really hurt,” he told the Guardian.

Two people were rescued from the water after a boat overturned in Puget Sound off of west Pierce County. Both were taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Northwest Trek Wildlife Park in Eatonville, Puyallup parks and Tacoma Nature Center all closed Saturday. So did campgrounds and many roads in Olympic National Park.

Around the Puget Sound region, more than 200,000 people lost power.

At one point early Saturday afternoon, a Tacoma Public Utilities spokeswoman said about 19,000 TPU customers were without electricity. TPU later reported restoring power to about half of those.

“The wind is just relentless,” TPU spokeswoman Christine Gleason said.

The National Weather Service reported wind gusts of 40 mph up and down the I-5 corridor, and gusts as high as 70 mph at the coast.

Jordan Schrader: 360-786-1826


Staff writer Kenny Via contributed to this report