Ballots for the Aug. 5 primary are arriving in the mail, and it’s time for citizens to do their homework.
The News Tribune’s editorial board has been studying the ballot, interviewing candidates and publishing endorsements. Here is a summary of the election recommendations we’ve made over the last couple weeks.
Don’t look here for endorsements in two-way races. In political parlance, those are “beauty contests” that don’t settle anything because both candidates will advance to the November runoff anyway. We focus on genuine primary contests with three or more rivals.
Why the dual endorsements in partisan races? In the primary, we look for the strongest and most promising candidate from each major political party. One exception is the 31st Legislative District, where we endorsed two Republicans because the self-proclaimed “Democrat,” Lynda Messner, has little affinity with the actual Democratic Party.
Our recommendations for the Aug. 5 primary:
U.S. House of Representatives
• 6th Congressional District (Olympic Peninsula, part of Tacoma):Derek Kilmer
, D-Gig Harbor;Marty McClendon
, R-Gig Harbor.
• 8th District (eastern Pierce County, southeastern King County, part of Central Washington):Dave Reichert
, R-Auburn;Jason Ritchie
• 9th District (Northeast Tacoma, South King, South Seattle, Bellevue):Adam Smith
, D-Bellevue;Doug Basler
• 10th District (Lakewood, University Place, Puyallup, Olympia):Denny Heck
, D-Olympia;Joyce McDonald
• 2nd Legislative District (Graham, Orting, Yelm and Eatonville), Position 2:J.T. Wilcox
• 26th District (Gig Harbor and Key peninsulas, Port Orchard, part of Bremerton), House Position 1:Jesse Young
, R-Gig Harbor;Nathan Schlicher
, D-Gig Harbor.
• 27th District (Tacoma), House Position 1:Laurie Jinkins
, D-Tacoma;Rodger Deskins
• 28th District (West Tacoma, University Place, Lakewood, DuPont), House Position 2:Christine Kilduff,
D-University Place;Monique Valenzuela Trudnowski
• 31st District (Sumner, Bonney Lake, Enumclaw, Buckley and Auburn), Senate:Pam Roach
, R-Auburn;Cathy Dahlquist
• 31st District, House Position 1:Mike Sando
, D-Enumclaw;Drew Stokesbary
• Pierce County District Court, Position 8
This race features three strong attorneys. We endorse only one, Karl Williams of University Place, but either of his rivals, Sandy Allen and Jeanette Lineberry, would also make an excellent judge.
• Peninsula School District construction levy and bond:Yes
• East Pierce Fire & Rescue four-year maintenance and operations levy:Yes
• City of Fircrest six-year emergency services levy renewal:Yes
• Graham Fire & Rescue four-year maintenance and operation excess levy:Yes
• Riverside Fire & Rescue six-year EMS levy renewal:Yes
To read endorsement editorials, go to thenewstribune.com/endorsements.