Last week’s ranking in
1. Florida State (2): Thanks to a ton of upsets, the Seminoles are again, by default, No. 1.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2. Auburn (6): On a crazy SEC weekend, the Tigers smacked LSU.
3. Mississippi (11): No time to revel in Alabama upset with road trip to Texas A&M this week.
4. Baylor (8): Beating TCU this week would greatly improve the Bears’ playoff chances.
5. Mississippi State (12): Hosts Auburn in week’s biggest game.
6. Notre Dame (9): Someone had to win that game against Stanford, so the Irish did.
7. Alabama (4): Remember how we wrote Lane Kiffin found his niche as Alabama’s offensive coordinator. About that …
8. Arizona (NR): Not world beaters just yet. But they’re Ducks beaters yet again.
9. TCU (NR): Probably should have had Horned Frogs ranked last week. Consider us even.
10. Oregon (1): Ducks still in the playoff hunt after last weekend’s top-level upheaval.
11. Michigan State (10): Bet the Spartans would like another crack at Oregon right now.
12. Oklahoma (3): The Sooners aren’t out of the national title picture yet, but a loss to Texas this week would do the trick.
13. Georgia (15): Tough trip to Missouri this week part of monster SEC slate.
14. Ohio State (17): Rutgers, Penn State and Illinois coming up before crucial trip to Michigan State.
15. Texas A&M (5): Even Jonathan Football probably doesn’t beat Mississippi State last week.
16. Kansas State (21): Bill Snyder’s team the latest to bring Kliff Kingsbury and Texas Tech down a peg.
17. UCLA (7): Same problem as the Ducks: can’t protect the quarterback.
18. Oklahoma State (22): Only 21-point favorite at Kansas? Take Cowboys and the points.
19. East Carolina (19): Pirates would surprise very few at this point if they finished 11-1.
20. Arizona State (25): Mike Bercovici is in the conversation for best backup QB in the country.
21. Nebraska (20): Semi-valiant comeback effort against MSU keeps the Huskers from falling too far.
22. Missouri (24): Beat Georgia this week, and Tigers are in great shape in SEC East.
23. Utah (NR): Leading the country in sacks with 28 through five games.
24. Georgia Tech (NR): 5-0 and not a ranked team remaining on the schedule until the finale at Georgia.
25. Stanford (16): That offense is offensive.
1. Arizona (5): Wildcats are atop these power rankings by midseason, just like everyone predicted.
2. Utah (9): Utes gradually moving from darkhorse Pac-12 contender to legitimate contender.
3. California (6): Bears might be most interesting team to watch, anywhere.
4. Arizona State (10): Sun Devils get an extra week to prepare for Stanford.
5. Oregon (2): Must-win this week against Pac-12 South preseason favorite UCLA.
6. UCLA (1): Goodwill from ASU win is gone, and the sky is falling again in Westwood.
7. Stanford (3): Hard to believe such a stellar defensive team could break down so badly on fourth-and-11.
8. USC (4): Eventually, one of Steve Sarkisian’s teams will learn to defend a deep pass against Arizona State.
9. Washington (8): Maybe it was for the best the Huskies played spectator last weekend.
10. Oregon State (11): Lucky to escape Boulder with a win.
11. Washington State (7): To be fair, the Cougars were likely everyone’s preseason pick in the team-most-likely-to-gain-812-yards-and-lose category.
12. Colorado (12): Has Mike MacIntyre caught up with that officiating crew yet?