In the midst of all the Mike Leach and Washington State football coaching hire across the mountains, the UW - fresh off its 38-21 Apple Cup victory a week ago - held its first postseason practice Saturday in the Dempsey Center.
* Keith Price did some work with the No. 1 offense, but the repetitions were left mainly for backups Nick Montana and Derrick Brown.
* The only player wearing the injury-designated, no-contact jersey was safety Will Shamburger, who did not play in the Apple Cup.
* Guard Colin Tanigawa (knee) has not had season-ending surgery yet. UW coach Steve Sarkisian said the swelling had not subsided yet to go fix the injury.
* The play of the day came on Brown's 40-yard pass to tight end Evan Hudson down the middle of the field during the team period.
* The best performers of the young players Saturday? Sarkisian's take: "I thought Dezden Petty looked pretty dang good, He's come a long way from training camp to where he is now. Some of the young defensive lineman, Jarett Finau I thought really stood out today. Corey Waller made a nice play, Josh Perkins, Jamaal Jones, a lot of young guys, so it was good. Excited to see them come back out and do it again tomorrow."
* Sarkisian was also asked about the UCLA opening. One Los Angeles publication noted the Bruins should seruiously take a look at the Huskies' third-year coach (plus many of his family members attended the university).
His response on his interest: "Nah. I think this is the best way to start this, because hopefully we can continue to be successful here and those rumors and different things come about and I can start now and say I can't talk about 'what if's' and 'speculations' and so I'm not that concerned about it."
* Sarkisian was asked if he knew Leach at all. He said, "No."