Huskies Insider Blog

Officials stand by final clock decision

Replays indicated that Venoy Overton's final-possession heave (see post below) went out of bounds with more than a second remaining, however, the Huskies were awarded the ball with only five-10ths of a second showing. Coach Lorenzo Romar said he asked for the officials to review the video, but they said they had and they were confident that 0.5 was correct.

After the game, Doug Shows, officials crew chief, released this statement:

"There's always a lag time between the time the play occurs and the whistle is blown and the clock stops. By rule, the clock stops when the whistle blows. We were asked to check the time, and we varified that it was accurate with the standby official and the clock operator."

Here is another take on the issue, provided by CBS Sports:

After No. 2-seeded North Carolina’s win over No.7-seeded Washington in the East Region’s third round game, the NCAA Tournament’s New York studio show (Ernie Johnson, Greg Anthony, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley and Rick Pitino) featured an exclusive report by Tracy Wolfson from Charlotte and an interview with John Adams, National Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officiating regarding questions surrounding the timing on the clock to start Washington's final possession.

On speaking with UNC-Washington official Doug Shows:

WOLFSON: I had a chance to speak with Doug Shows, who was the official during that last game between UNC and Washington, and he blew the whistle on the final shot. He said that Lorenzo Romar did ask for verification, he then went to the table and the official of the clock who handled it said ‘he does not need to go to the monitor.’ They said that the call was right because it’s not when the ball hit the ground, but it’s when the whistle blows, and because of technology there is going to be an obvious lag.

On whether the officials handled the end of the game correctly:ADAMS: Officials may go to the monitor in that situation, by rule they are not forced to go to the monitor. Tracy had it right, the clock operator is supposed to stop the clock when the official signals the violation, which would have been watching the ball hit the floor, blowing your whistle, in other words recognize the play and have some human reaction time…We have all sorts of resources here in Atlanta and have reviewed this play a number of times, probably come down on the side of the fact that the referee blew the whistle right around the .8, .7 tenth of a second mark. We’ve reviewed this with the alternate. They felt that the officials got it exactly right on the court at the time they blew the whistle. I guess in retrospect I would feel like given the resources we had available and checking everybody and everything we had to check, I am not sure that even if we had gone to the monitor, which they certainly could have done, that the technology is good enough to try and figure out one tenth or two tenths of a second and trying to place when that whistle blew and when the clock should have stopped.

GREG ANTHONY: We spoke earlier before the half ended and you said that you had no issue with how they (referees) did it, except for the fact that you were disappointed in maybe that they didn’t go to the monitor just because of the situation?

ADAMS: I’m a little disappointed, Greg, that we didn’t use all the resources we had available to walk off the court knowing we got it 100 percent right.