This was kind of a no-brainer. Cal's Justin Cobbs put up some ridiculous numbers this weekend. Against Oregon, he scored 29 points, dished out eight assists, had four steals, grabbed three rebounds and didn't have a single turnover. On Saturday against OSU, he scored 10 points and dished out a career high 13 assists. He was so good that head coach Mike Montgomery even said he'd be surprised if Cobbs wasn't name Pac-12 player of the week. Well, Montgomery was right.
From the press release ...
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — CALIFORNIA guard Justin Cobbs has been named Bank of the West Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Player of the Week for Feb. 13-19, Commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday.
The sophomore guided California to a home sweep of the Oregon schools, starting with a close 86-83 victory over Oregon on Thursday. Cobbs posted a career-best 28 points against the Ducks on 13-for-29 shooting (.684) and dished eight assists. Healso tied a career best for steals with four while grabbing three rebounds.
On Saturday, the Los Angeles, Calif., native registered the second double-double of his collegiate career with a career-high 13 assists and 10 points in Cal’s 77-63 win over Oregon State. He also nabbed five rebounds and went 4-for-4 from the foul line. Cobbs’ 13 assists against the Beavers marked the first time a Golden Bear has reached that number since Jason Kidd posted 13 in 1994.
Over the two games, Cobbs averaged 19.0 points on 16-for-26 (.615) field goal shooting, 10.5 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals. He also went 5-for-5 from the free throw line.
This is Cobb’s first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the 45th all-time selection for California.
Cal is on the road at Utah on Thursday, Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. MT/6 p.m. PT and Colorado on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 3:30 p.m. MT/2:30 p.m. PT.
Also Nominated: Kyle Fogg, ARIZ; Andre Roberson, COLO; Devoe Joseph, ORE; Josh Owens, STAN; Travis Wear, UCLA; Terrence Ross, WASH.
2011-12 Pac-12 Players of the Week
- Nov. 14 C.J. Wilcox, So., G, Washington
- Nov. 21 Jared Cunningham, Jr., G, Oregon State
- Nov. 28 Maurice Jones, So., G, USC
- Dec. 5 Solomon Hill, Jr., F, Arizona
- Dec. 12 Brock Motum, Jr. F, Washington State
- Dec. 19 Ahmad Starks, So., G, Oregon State
- Dec. 26 Solomon Hill, Jr., F, Arizona
- Jan. 2 Tony Wroten, Fr., G, Washington
- Jan. 9 Carlon Brown, Sr., G, Colorado
- Jan. 16 Terrence Ross, So., G, Washington
- Jan. 23 Faisal Aden, Sr., G, Washington State
- Jan. 30 Jared Cunningham, Jr., G, Oregon State
- Feb. 6 Kyle Fogg, Sr., G,, Arizona
- Feb. 13 E.J. Singler, Jr., F, Oregon
- Feb. 20 Justin Cobbs, So., G, California