This will be the final practice report of the week. Thursday's practice is closed. Friday's mock game at Century Link field is closed. And Saturday's practice has also been closed. It's not really surprising. They want to work on finalizing some things and they don't need our prying eyes there. There won't be a practice report until Tuesday night. But at this point, we pretty much know a few things ...
1. The Huskies first team defense will likely will be that nickel hybrid look with Shaq Thompson starting. We've seen the Huskies in that look most of the last few weeks of the season.
2. The offensive line of LT Micah Hatchie, LG Colin Tanigawa, C Drew Schaefer, RG James Atoe, RT Ben Riva. Returning starter Erik Kohler got some work with the first-team offense at both center and at right guard. Sarkisian also said Kohler would see some time at tackle. The Huskies will likely go with the starting five that was featured most of camp with Kohler working in for a share of series during the first game.
3. The true freshman that will likely play this season and figure into the two deep besides Thompson are WR Jaydon Mickens, WR Kendyl Taylor, DL Pio Vatuvei, OL Shane Brostek, P Korey Durkee and CB Brandon Beaver. Not sure what they are going to do with the two quarterbacks. Jeff Lindquist will definitely redshirt. But I think they would like to redshirt Cyler Miles if possible
4. It looks as though Travis Feeney will start at the other linebacker opposite John Timu. Feeney has been back in pads for two days and have both been with the No. 1 offense. Princeton Fuimaono, who practiced fully, and Taz Stevenson and Evan Zeger all went back to working with the No. 2 and 3 defense.
5. The cornerback position opposite Desmond Trufant hasn't been completely solved yet. No player has really runaway with the competition. But it appears as though Tre Watson has distanced himself ahead of Marcus Peters and then Greg Ducre.
6. The Huskies will start Kasen Williams at one receiver while Cody Bruns, DiAndre Campbell and Mickens and Taylor will get reps at the other two receiver spots.
7. Willis Wilson will be the third team running back behind Bishop Sankey and Jesse Callier.
Other practice notes
- Evan Zeger was in a yellow no-contact jersey with a stiff neck
- Will Shamburger took first team reps with No. 1 defense, while Justin Glenn stayed as the second-team defense.
- Travis Coons was back and kicking at practice. He made 4-of-5 attempts
- Desmond Trufant dressed out but got the afternoon off from team drills. True freshman Brandon Beaver got reps in his place on a few series.