High School Sports

Young Kentwood team, anchored by lineman Wyatt Hansen, is determined to continue success

Kentwood junior lineman Wyatt Hansen (left) powers around double team blocking during preseason football practice at Kentwood High School in Covington on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018.
Kentwood junior lineman Wyatt Hansen (left) powers around double team blocking during preseason football practice at Kentwood High School in Covington on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018. toverman@theolympian.com

Kentwood High School football coach Michael Bush made two things clear Saturday at the team’s first full scrimmage of the summer — young is good, and the hunger to compete is even better.

From what Bush has observed from film sessions and drills thus far, this year’s team has both.

He admitted last season’s loss to Woodinville in the first round of the Class 4A state playoffs, and losing 20 seniors after that game, made the approach to the 2018 season much different than first anticipated.

However, Bush and his fellow coaches have been pleasantly surprised by how quickly the junior-dominant roster has responded.

“We are young, but young is good,” Bush said. “We have a bunch of potential. Even though we’ve had to spend some time in the gym, we’ve seen our guys grow. We’ve been talking about growing and getting a little bit better each day.”

One of the key players is last year’s 4A NPSL Cascade offensive lineman of the year, Wyatt Hansen, who was also a first-team pick on defense. Not only did Hansen tower above most of his teammates in during the scrimmage — the junior is 6-foot-4, 260 pounds — but his presence has become far more valuable after the loss of so many seniors.

At 16 years old, Hansen is considered an elder statesman on this Conquerors roster.

He originally broke in with the Kentwood varsity roster at 14, and has been a staple there ever since. It didn’t take him long to assess this season and conclude it is going to look unlike his previous two.

“Right now, it’s a lot different,” Hansen said. “We’re a lot younger than last year. It’s almost like we’re starting over. We have a lot of guys that have never played varsity before. So, that is something we’re all getting used to.”

Again, Bush doesn’t see youth as a hindrance.

Hansen, Victor Juarez, K.J. Cooper and Trevon Erickson were just a few of the freshmen and sophomores that saw considerable playing time for the Conquerors last season, and Bush said he has no issue incorporating newcomers again this year.

In terms of a hunger to compete, Bush stressed ability on the field alone does not make leaders that help produce postseason opportunities. So, Bush and his fellow coaches held a camp during the offseason called “Conk Maneuvers.”

Due to the loss of so many seniors, the camp focused on the importance of leadership and leadership amongst their peers.

“We have really stressed for these guys to be better and accountable,” Bush said. “It was something that actually started in the classroom and just spilled out on to the field.”

The biggest shift for Kentwood will be its area of strength.

For the first three years of Bush’s tenure, the Conquerors strength was its perimeter. In 2018, he is certain it will be the offensive line, anchored by Hansen.

All seven members of the offensive line have starting experience. All seven are prepared to help and teach newcomers their keys to success.

“There’s a lot of talent here,” Hansen said. “I don’t know if it’s all come together yet to this point, but we have a lot of talent on offense and defense.”

The roster isn’t the only adjustment Kentwood will make in 2018.

The NPSL has adjusted its format to a three-tiered system, with Kentwood competing in the top tier, and the Conquerors have a new look to the front half of their schedule.

It is a schedule that includes perennial state contender Skyline and Mount Si, which has one of the state’s top quarterbacks in Oregon commit Cale Millen, and could be one of the best programs in 4A.

Bush knows his team is young. Is this season’s Kentwood program ready for Mount Si, Auburn Riverside and other local powerhouse programs? Time will tell.

As the Conquerors first full scrimmage hit the halfway mark, though, it’s that youth and desire to compete that has them on the right path.

“We want to compete,” Bush said. “... We want to compete for a championship. We’re excited. I think this team and this schedule sets us up for success.”

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER