High School Sports

Edmonds-Woodway trumps Bellevue, 3-0

Undefeated Bellevue briefly looked in control of its state 3A girls soccer semifinal against Edmonds-Woodway Friday afternoon.

And then Warriors forward Madison Schultz got loose on a counterattack.

The star junior and U.S. under-17 international scored the game’s first goal after cutting back into the 18-yard box from the right in the 28th minute and finished with a hat trick, sparking a 3-0 Edmonds-Woodway victory at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup.

“We start off slow. I have no idea what’s our issue,” Schultz said, laughing. “But once we get that first goal in, it’s like you belong here. It’s Edmonds-Woodway. Sometimes we don’t realize that we can be as good as we’re playing right now.”

Schultz’s opening strike came after she broke loose from Bellevue’s defense and used her speed to find open space before cutting in and putting a shot past Wolverines keeper Brittley Gaan.

Her goal in the 35th minute was far more spectacular — a lobbed shot from 15 yards out over Gaan’s outstretched left hand, which deflected the ball but was unable to keep it out of the net.

Schultz completed her hat trick in the 75th minute, running past the diving keeper, then shooting the ball into the back of an unguarded net.

“It’s not just her,” Edmonds-Woodway coach Bill LeCompte said of Schultz. “The truth is, we got a clean sheet because the defensive effort, we got forwards at the right spots at the right time. Ultimately, she’s a piece of the puzzle. She’s not the whole puzzle.”

The closest Bellevue got to scoring was in the 55th minute, when Wolverines forward Jojo Harber shot from 20 yards out and beat Edmonds-Woodway keeper Kira Towell, but the shot rattled off the right post.

The victory sends Edmonds-Woodway (18-3-2) to its first state final, playing the winner of the other semifinal between Columbia River and Southridge at 2 p.m. Saturday.

The loss is the first blemish for Bellevue (18-1-0), which had scored at least two goals in 15 of its previous 18 matches. The Wolverines will play the loser of the other semifinal for third place Saturday at 10 a.m.


Southridge 2, Columbia River 1: Kelly Brown and Emily Dirham erased a deficit with late goals off corner kicks, and the Suns (19-4) advanced to their first 3A title match at Sparks Stadium.

Dirham’s game-winner came in the 68th minute. The Suns got close in 2010, losing 2-0 to Seattle Prep.


Shorecrest 3, Ridgefield 2: Meghan Wicken tallied two goals, and the five-time 3A champion Scots will play for their first 2A title at Shoreline Stadium.

Off a careless giveaway, Wicken scored on a one-on-one opportunity in the 28th minute. She gave the Scots (19-4) a 3-0 lead 18 minutes later before the Spudders got two late goals

Squalicum 3, Ephrata 1: After two unsuccessful semifinal trips the past two seasons, the Storm (21-0-1) finally reached its first state title match with a triumph at Shoreline Stadium.

Two early goals, the first one on Sarah Byron’s header off a corner kick in the fifth minute, propelled Squalicum to the win.


King’s 1, University Prep 0: The Knights (20-1-1) got the double whammy Friday – winning a state semifinal match for a second consecutive season, and avenging last season’s heartbreaking title-match loss in the process.

Off a short corner kick, Anisha Uberuaga blasted a 25-yard shot that stayed just inside the post for King’s lone goal at Shoreline Stadium.

Klahowya 2, Lakeside of Nine Mile Falls 0: The Olympic League champions tallied two early goals, including their final one on a Lakeside own goal, and Klahowya will play for its first 1A title since winning it all in 1999.

McKenzie Cook, a senior forward for Klahowya (20-2), set up Danni Antoldi’s first tap-in goal in the ninth minute, and unleashed the shot that turned into the own goal.