Two Mariners are seeking to return to the Gold standard.
Second baseman Robinson Cano and third baseman Kyle Seager were each identified Thursday as finalists at their position for Gold Glove awards, which seek to recognize the top defensive player at each position in both leagues.
Seager won the award in 2014, which ended a four-year drought for the Mariners. Cano was a recipient in 2010 and 2012 while playing for the New York Yankees.
The Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, which began sponsoring the awards in 1957, announced three finalists at each position. The 18 winners will be announced Nov. 8 on ESPN.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Seager faces a stiff challenge to win the award over Texas’ Adrian Beltre, a former Mariner, and Baltimore’s Manny Machado. Beltre is a four-time recipient, and Machado won the award in 2013 and 2015.
While Seager led all American League third basemen with 22 errors, he also tied Beltre for the league lead with a plus-15 rating in runs saved above average in computations by Baseball Info Solutions. Machado was plus-13.
Cano’s competition at second base consists of Detroit’s Ian Kinsler and Boston’s Dustin Pedoria. While Pedroia is a three-time recipient, Kinsler has never won the award.
The 2015 winner, Houston’s Jose Altuve, was not a finalist.
Cano committed just three errors, which was the lowest total among any qualifying second baseman in either league. He also rated at plus-11 in runs saved above average. Pedroia and Kinsler each graded out at plus-12.
The current selection process consists of a vote by the managers and coaches in each league, which account for 75 percent of the vote. The remaining 25 percent is determined through a sabermetric formula.
Managers and coaches are not permitted to vote for their own players.
2016 GOLD GLOVE FINALISTS
(* — indicates 2015 recipient)
Pitcher: R.A. Dickey, Toronto; Dallas Keuchel*, Houston; and Justin Verlander, Detroit.
Catcher: James McCann, Detroit; Carlos Perez, Los Angeles; and Salvy Perez*, Kansas City.
First base: Chris Davis, Baltimore; Eric Hosmer*, Kansas City; and Mitch Moreland, Texas.
Second base: Robinson Cano, Mariners; Ian Kinsler, Detroit; and Dustin Pedroia, Boston.
Shortstop: Jose Iglesias, Detroit; Francisco Lindor, Cleveland; and Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles.
Third base: Adrian Beltre, Texas; Manny Machado*, Baltimore; and Kyle Seager, Mariners.
Left field: Brett Gardner, New York; Alex Gordon, Kansas City; Colby Rasmus, Houston.
Center field: Jackie Bradley Jr., Boston; Kevin Kiermaier*, Tampa Bay; and Kevin Pillar, Toronto.
Right field: Mookie Betts, Boston; Adam Eaton, Chicago; and George Springer, Houston.
Pitcher: Jake Arrieta, Chicago; Zack Greinke*, Arizona; and Adam Wainwright, St. Louis.
Catcher: Jonathan Lucroy, Milwaukee; Yadier Molina*, St. Louis; and Buster Posey, San Francisco.
First base: Paul Goldschmidt*, Arizona; Wil Myers, San Diego; and Anthony Rizzo, Chicago.
Second base: D.J. LeMahieu, Colorado; Joe Panik, San Francisco; and Jean Segura, Arizona.
Shortstop: Brandon Crawford*, San Francisco; Freddy Galvis, Philadelphia; and Addison Russell, Chicago.
Third base: Nolan Arenado*, Colorado; Anthony Rendon, Washington; and Justin Turner, Los Angeles.
Left field: Adam Duvall, Cincinnati; Starling Marte*, Pittsburgh; and Christian Yelich, Miami.
Center field: Billy Hamilton, Cincinnati; Odubel Herrera, Philadelphia; and Ender Inciarte, Atlanta.
Right field: Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado; Jason Heyward*, Chicago; and Nick Markakis, Atlanta.
Bob Dutton: @TNT_Mariners