Greetings from a frigid and wind-chilled Safeco Field. It is not warm down on the field, so I doubt it will be warm in the stands.
I heard Chuck Armstrong asking whether they should keep the roof open or not. I was tempted to yell, "What are you crazy? Close it! And buy some damn space heaters too!"
Right now it is 1:08 and the Mariners are wrapping up batting practice. Manager Don Wakamatsu had the team out on the field early at 12:10 for stretch. I assume he wants to get them back into the warmth of the clubhouse sooner, plus all of the home opening activities.
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you'll never miss a local story.
* Wakamatsu's pregame media session was unusually crowded - not totally unexpected on opening day.
A few things ... Ken Griffey Jr. was supposed to start in right field but he has a little bit of a stiff back. So Wakamatsu moved him to DH.
The line-up is ...
Endy Chavez RF
Ronny Cedeno LF
Ken Griffey DH
Adrian Beltre 3B
Russell Branyan 1B
Jose Lopez 2B
Kenji Johjima C
Franklin Gutierrez CF
Yuni Betancourt SS
Carlos Silva P
Here's the Angels lineup
Chone Figgins 3B
Howie Kendrick 2B
Bobby Abreu LF
Vlad Guerrero DH
Torii Hunter CF
Kendry Morales 1B
Mike Napoli C
Gary Mathews Jr. RF
Erick Aybar SS
Shane Loux P
Here's the opening day itinerary ...
* 3:02 The Mariner Moose and 30 kids from Dance Premier studio get the show started with a special "Opening Day" dance party.
* 3:03 A Celebration of this year's World Baseball Classic including a "Parade of World Flags."
* 3:10 A Moment of Silence to remember former Mariners GM Dick Vertlieb, former Mariners pitcher Dave Roberts and Seattle Icon and Friend of the Mariners, Ed "Tuba Man" McMichael.
* 3:14 First Corps Command Honor Guard from Fort Lewis and National Anthem by Navy Band Northwest.
* 3:21 Presentation of Gold Gloves to Adrian Beltre (2nd consecutive) and Ichiro Suzuki (8th consecutive), and Ichiro's 8th consecutive season with 200 hits.
* 3:22 Dave Niehaus will present an "Ode to Safeco Field" in honor of the ballpark's 10th Anniversary.
* 3:23 National Anthem, Navy Band Northwest
* 3:25 Ceremonial roof opening (weather permitting)
* 3:27 Mariners Awards - Ichiro and Beltre receive gold gloves
* 3:29 -- Dave Niehaus celebrates 10th anniversary of Safeco
* 3:31 Ceremonial Make-A-Wish® "Run Around the Bases" by 7-year old Arjun Vaghela of Bothell, who is undergoing treatment for neuroblastoma, a cancer that strikes children 10-years of age and younger.
* 3:34 The Ceremonial First Pitch will be delivered by Mariners great Harold Reynolds, now a host on the new MLB Network.
* 7th Inning Stretch "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" will be performed by a Tuba Ensemble in honor of Ed McMichael, the Tuba Man.