Greetings from a frigid and wind-chilled Safeco Field. It is not warm down on the field, so I doubt it will be warm in the stands.
I heard Chuck Armstrong asking whether they should keep the roof open or not. I was tempted to yell, "What are you crazy? Close it! And buy some damn space heaters too!"
Right now it is 1:08 and the Mariners are wrapping up batting practice. Manager Don Wakamatsu had the team out on the field early at 12:10 for stretch. I assume he wants to get them back into the warmth of the clubhouse sooner, plus all of the home opening activities.
* Wakamatsu's pregame media session was unusually crowded - not totally unexpected on opening day.
A few things ... Ken Griffey Jr. was supposed to start in right field but he has a little bit of a stiff back. So Wakamatsu moved him to DH.
The line-up is ...
Endy Chavez RF
Ronny Cedeno LF
Ken Griffey DH
Adrian Beltre 3B
Russell Branyan 1B
Jose Lopez 2B
Kenji Johjima C
Franklin Gutierrez CF
Yuni Betancourt SS
Carlos Silva P
Here's the Angels lineup
Chone Figgins 3B
Howie Kendrick 2B
Bobby Abreu LF
Vlad Guerrero DH
Torii Hunter CF
Kendry Morales 1B
Mike Napoli C
Gary Mathews Jr. RF
Erick Aybar SS
Shane Loux P
Here's the opening day itinerary ...
* 3:02 The Mariner Moose and 30 kids from Dance Premier studio get the show started with a special "Opening Day" dance party.
* 3:03 A Celebration of this year's World Baseball Classic including a "Parade of World Flags."
* 3:10 A Moment of Silence to remember former Mariners GM Dick Vertlieb, former Mariners pitcher Dave Roberts and Seattle Icon and Friend of the Mariners, Ed "Tuba Man" McMichael.
* 3:14 First Corps Command Honor Guard from Fort Lewis and National Anthem by Navy Band Northwest.
* 3:21 Presentation of Gold Gloves to Adrian Beltre (2nd consecutive) and Ichiro Suzuki (8th consecutive), and Ichiro's 8th consecutive season with 200 hits.
* 3:22 Dave Niehaus will present an "Ode to Safeco Field" in honor of the ballpark's 10th Anniversary.
* 3:23 National Anthem, Navy Band Northwest
* 3:25 Ceremonial roof opening (weather permitting)
* 3:27 Mariners Awards - Ichiro and Beltre receive gold gloves
* 3:29 -- Dave Niehaus celebrates 10th anniversary of Safeco
* 3:31 Ceremonial Make-A-Wish® "Run Around the Bases" by 7-year old Arjun Vaghela of Bothell, who is undergoing treatment for neuroblastoma, a cancer that strikes children 10-years of age and younger.
* 3:34 The Ceremonial First Pitch will be delivered by Mariners great Harold Reynolds, now a host on the new MLB Network.
* 7th Inning Stretch "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" will be performed by a Tuba Ensemble in honor of Ed McMichael, the Tuba Man.