Felix Hernandez has taken the mound after a Seattle loss in 26 of 40 starts since opening day, 2009 - and in those starts he has gone 15-6 with a 2.66 earned run average.
This team needs another win desperately, having lost its last six, and a pre-team meeting in essence asked the Mariners to leave it all on the field.
Jack Wilson is still out - he'll miss this series - and Michael Saunders is starting in left field. Rob Johnson, who works well with Felix, is behind the plate again.
DH? That would be Ken Griffey Jr., who's gone 3-for-17 on this home stand, and 1-for-8 in his career against the Angels Jered Weaver.
It's early, but this game is for third place in the American League West. Each team is 3 1/2 games out of first place, shared by Oakland and Texas.
- Nice crowd - another bobble-head night - got antsy when Felix walked leadoff hitter Erick Aybar, gave up a single to Bobby Abreu and walked Torii Hunter to load the bases. On a 3-2 pitch, Kendry Morales doubled to clear the bases - and the Mariners fell behind, 3-0, before getting an out. With one out, Ichiro fielded Juan Rivera's fly ball and made a strong throw to the plate. Johnson bobbled it and a fourth run scored. In the first: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 0.
- Two innings in, the Mariners have managed on base runner - Chone Figgins walked and stole second base. That's where he stayed. The offense remains asleep. After two: Los Angeles 4, Seattle 0.
- Felix is laboring. He walked Hideki Matsui, then gave up a long home run to Juan Rivera. Hernandez has alrleadya thrown 70 pitches - with no one out in the fourth. No. 71 became a home run for Howie Kendrick. With one out, Ryan Budde homered. After 83 pitches, Felix is pulled. Jesus Colome now pitching. In the fourth: Los Angeles 8, Seattle 0.
- The line on Felix: 3 1/3 innings, five hits, eight runs, four walks, three strikeouts, three home runs. Three of his walks scored. Yikes!
- By the way, five innings into this beauty, the Mariners have yet to get a hit against Mr. Weaver.
- Seattle, we have a base runner. One out into the sixth, Saunders drew a walk - to an ovation from the crowd of 37,602. Ichiro struck out. Figgins grounded out. Not a hit in sight. After six: Los Angeles 8, Seattle 0.
- Seattle, we have a hit! A single by Junior with two out in the seventh ended Weaver's no hitter. Now, about those eight runs ...
- Josh-not-Jack Wilson walked, was forced out on a Johnson ground ball, but Saunders doubled to produce a veriviable threat in the eighth inning. Weaver was replaced by Scott Shields with runners on second and third base. Ichiro struck out on a pitch in the dirt. Figgins popped out. After eight: Los Angeles 8, Seattle 0.
- Seven in a row, folks, and the Marines are 4 1/2 games out of first place, trailing the three other teams in the AL West. It's a final: Los Angeles 8, Seattle 0.