Figured I would wrap up some of the coverage of the trade first, and then post a few thoughts later. Above is a commercial for MLB 2K10 for the PS 3. There's another commercial with a few funny lines from them at the bottom of the blog post. It features Felix Hernandez and Kendrys Morales. When asked about being teammates with Felix, Morales pointed out the obvious benefit .... not having to face him.
First of all here is my extended story from the trade, including comments from Morales
From the story ...
Morales, 29, hit .273 (132-for-484) with a .320 on-base percentage, 26 doubles, 22 home runs and 73 RBI in 134 games last season. It was his first season since suffering a gruesome broken leg May 29, 2010, while celebrating a walk-off grand slam against the Mariners. At that point, he was hitting .290 with 11 homers and 39 RBI in 51 games.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
He missed all of the 2011 season recovering from surgery.
In 2009 he had monster year, hitting .306 with 34 home runs and 108 RBI. He had on an on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS) of .924. He finished fifth in the AL Most Valuable Player voting.
The injury certainly was an issue for Morales last season. He had a noticeable limp in his gait and played in just 28 games at first base, spending the rest of the time at DH.
“Last year, I didn’t feel 100 percent, but as the year wore on I was able to build strength,” Morales said through translator Luis Garcia in a conference call.
It won’t be a problem this season, he said.
“I would put it at 100 percent,” Morales said. “It’s allowed me to continue to work out this offseason for the first time since about two years back. Following workouts, I feel no pain or inflammation.”Elsewhere around the cold and rainy Puget Sound...
- Here's Tim Booth's story for the AP
- Jeff Sullivan of Lookout Landing has this first blog post on the trade and then he has a follow-up post. Then this Sullivan overachiever has this blog post for Fangraphs.
- Not to be outdone, Dave Cameron has this initial blog post for USS Mariner, and he also has a follow-up post on how the pieces fit.
- Here's a post from Nathan Bishop of ProBall NW
- ESPN radio Shannon Drayer has a few blog posts up
- David Schoenfeld of ESPN's Sweet Spot blog says the trade is a win for both teams.
- Here's Jack Zduriencik on KJR talking with Ian Furness and Jason Puckett
- Here's Jack Zduriencik on ESPN 710 talking with Jim Moore and Dave Wyman
- Here's Jeff Fletcher's story for the OC Register ....
- And here is Mike DiGiovanna's story for the LA Times.
- Here's the first blog post from Halo's Heaven that has over 400 comments