Mariners Insider Blog

Seattle beats Tigers, Verlander, 2-0


Seattle wins it, 2-0. First Major League win for Carter Capps, and save to Tom Wilhelmsen. Loss to Justin Verlander (2-2). Second shutout of the Tigers this season.

"It was great to come back today, especially after a long night last night," manager Eric Wedge said. "(Iwakuma) had fantastic stuff. His finger, obviously that’s why we had to get him out of there. Carter Capps stepped up and (Wilhelmsen) finished it off. We played some great defense. Of course Seeger with the big knock was big for us. A lot of people contributed.

"It was a short night, and we came back today and both teams were playing good hard baseball. It was a tough matchup. Iwakuma was up to the task; Verlander was on his game. We had a couple of people step up. Endy Chavez had a great game: great catch at the end, but also dropping that (seventh-inning single) in there. Seeger made a nice job with his straight-in slide into home plate. Some good things to draw from."

Mariners move to 7-10 and begin a six-game road trip tomorrow at Texas.Ninth inning: Wilhelmsen on to close. He hit 100 on the stadium board. Got the save, three up three down, highlighted by great diving catch by Endy Chavez. Seattle, 2-0.

Eighth inning: Seager remains in game at third; Andino moves to short.

Tigers get a single and nothing more.

Coke relieves Verlander, who allowed two runs and nine hits over seven innings. He struck out 12; 126 pitches, 89 strikes.

Mariners three up, three down.

Seventh inning: Carter Capps on for Mariners. Iwakuma allowed no runs, three hits one walk, two strikeouts in six innings. Seventy pitches, 49 strikes.

In Tigers half, Fielder stranded at second after one-out double.

In the home half, Robert Andino got a two-out single. Then Seager, pinch hitting for Ryan, doubled into the left field corner, scoring Andino. Then Chavez singled to left, scoring Seager Seattle, 2-0.

Sixth inning: 0-0. It has started to rain. The roof is slowly closing. Both teams go down in order.

Attendance: 15,742.

Fifth inning: 0-0. No hits by the Tigers in their half. However, Iwakuma walked his second batter of the season.

Fourth inning: 0-0. Tigers go in order. Smoack and Shoppach get singles for the Mariners, who are up to five hits now.

Third inning: 0-0. Verlander-Iwakuma projected as a pitchers duel, and that's what's unfolding.

Second inning: 0-0. Tigers get a couple of singles, but nothing comes of it. Akley single only hit in bottom half. Some boos and shouts for Smoak after striking out. But he's got company: four of Mariners' six outs have been K's.

First inning: 0-0. Tigers three up/three down. Mariners get a double from Morales.

Pregame: We are about 40 minutes before the scheduled first pitch, and the Safeco roof -- which had been closed all morning -- is being opened to allow the reasonably light clouds to shine in.

Personnel move: One piece of morning news -- early morning for the guy involved:

Pitcher Hector Noesi recalled from the Tacoma Rainiers.

However, manager Eric Wedge indicated the move was driven by immediate needs.

"We needed somebody who could give us length," he said. "It was Noesi’s day to pitch today, so we flip-flopped him and LsF. … It was his day to pitch so he was somebody who could give us the various amount of length in case we needed it."

Hoesi says he got the word around 1:30 last night, managed eight hours sleep -- no doubt giving him an advantage over several Mariners and sportswriters -- and reported to the park this morning. He says he will work out of the bullpen.

Noesi on his promotion:

"I have to be happy," he said at a locker too new to have his name on it. "I want to be here. I’ve tried to pull everything together to come here. ... I was getting comfortable with my stuff and trust too. ... If I want to throw a breaking ball I can think and just do it. Last year, I was thinking too much. ...I’m going to be in the bullpen from now on. When I was with the Yankees I was a relieve the whole year. I have to roll with it. It’s not bothering me."

And on how he got the word:

"I was sleeping. I was in my room. They don’t have my number because I have a new number and they go to the room and they just tell me that I have to go … Like 1:45, I think. I was in Tacoma. … I go back to sleep: eight hours."

Meanwhile, left-hander Bobby LaFromboise was optioned.

Will be back with comments from manager and more soon.