A frustrated Seahawks head coach Jim Mora called out the offensive line after his team’s 34-7 loss to the Texans, stating that there could potentially be changes at all five positions next week.
Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was sacked three times for 27 yards, but was under pressure most of the day. Fourteen of Seattle’s 63 plays were for a loss.
“I’m not happy at all with the way our offensive line is playing,” Mora said. “And we’re going to take an extremely hard look at that in the next two days, and I can’t promise you that they’re wont be changes. If there are changes to be made, we’ll make them even at this late stage of the season.”
Mora specifically pointed to the struggles of center Chris Spencer and seemed to question the legitimacy of his injury. Spencer played with an injured right thumb and has been snapping left-handed for the last month. The Seahawks had three fumbled snaps against Houston.
“We’ve got a center that’s trying to snap with his left hand because he’s got a cast on his right hand,” Mora said. “He’s had that on for what seems like forever. I’m not quite sure why he still has a cast on his hand – but he does. That is a factor.
“We see it affecting our shotgun snaps, affecting a lot of our running plays – the timing on offense has to be crisp and when you can’t get the snap to the quarterback you’ve got no chance in getting a successful play.”
Spencer said he still can’t squeeze the ball with his right hand and that’s why he’s snapping with his left hand.
“If they make changes that’s their decision,” Spencer said. “All we can do is go to work and try to get better.”
Offensive guard Rob Sims understands that there will likely be changes to the offensive line next week
“It’s frustrating because the writing’s on the wall,” Sims said. “We all know. We’re trying to stay together, but it’s not going to happen with the situation with the GM stuff that’s going on right now.
“There’s a business side to this, and bottom line Matt was on the ground too much. … It’s garbage. I take pride in keeping Matt off the ground.”
Even though they were never in this game and again played badly on the road, Mora still does not question his team's effort.
"The effort is a given," he said. "You're supposed to play hard in this game and we did. We had an excellent week of practice. We practiced well; we were ready to go, and we came out and got off to a horrible start again."
Mora said as far as injuries, Nate Burleson will get an MRI on his ankle Monday morning. Aaron Curry has a hip pointer, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is Ok after taking a tough tumble on an attempted catch over the middle.
Hasselbeck said his shoulder is OK. He had to leave the game after taking a hit in the third quarter, and was replaced for a series by Seneca Wallace. But Hasselbeck came back in the next series
* Of Seattle’s 63 plays, 14 of them were for a loss.
* Texans quarterback Matt Schaub finished 24 of 28 passes for 336 yards and two touchdowns – in the first half. His 336 yards was the third-highest total for a quarterback in league history.
* Andre Johnson finished with 10 receptions for 184 yards and two scores in the first half. Those numbers were career-high for Johnson in a half as well.
* After totaling nine sacks in the last two games, Seattle finished with no sacks against Houston.
* Andre Johnson has now been targeted a league-leading 145 times.
* Hasselbeck finished 24 of 35 for 247 yards and one touchdown. He also threw an interception to Bernard Pollard, who returned it 70 yards for a score.
* Seattle finished 1 of 14 on third downs, and went three and out the first, three possessions of the game.