Seahawks Insider Blog

WR Burleson possibly out for the year

On his weekly radio show on KJR-AM, Seahawks wide receiver Nate Burleson said he suffered a high-ankle sprain on Sunday against Houston and could be out for the season.

Burleson said he injured the ankle on a punt return trying to get around the edge in the third quarter. Burleson said his foot was planted on the ground while a Houston player coming in to make the tackle hit his helmet on the outside of Burleon’s ankle.

Burleson said he’s wearing a protective boot on the injured ankle.

“We did X-rays right after the game and there weren’t any broken bones,” Burleson said. “It felt uneasy. Then I went to the sideline and got it taped up. I went in for one more play, and they threw me the ball and I caught it right on the sideline. And when it came down it just didn’t feel good, so at that point I just decided to (shut it down).”

Burleson said he’s uncertain if he will return this year. The 28-year-old receiver missed 15 games last year with an ACL tear in his knee, but came back early from the injury and had a surprisingly explosive burst early in training camp.

“There’s a possibility of both,” Burleson said. “Right now, like I said I have a very high tolerance for pain, so I was able to go in after I hurt it, so that’s a good sign right there. Right now it’s just basically trying to rehab it as much as I can and take it week by week, and obviously I want to get on the field. I want to make plays.

“I was on my way to 1,000 yards, and that was important to me. That would be a milestone in my career, but we’ll see what happens.”

Burleson has 63 receptions for 829 yards, along with three touchdowns, and has a chance to reach 1,000 yards for only the second time in his seven-year career.

Listen to the entire Burleson interview with KJR’s Dave “Softy” Mahler in this audio link.

  Comments