Seahawks Insider Blog

Winston? Mariota? Seahawks get to shrug over top QBs at NFL scouting combine

Hi from Indianapolis, where it's about 80 degrees colder than it was when I left sunny Seattle.

Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith, owner of the first pick in the April 30 draft, just spoke at a podium here in a lobby lounge of Lucas Oil Stadium on the first morning of the NFL scouting combine. He didn't sound very concerned about any perceived "red flags" from Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston's off-the-field drama in college.

Smith said dryly that Winston "hasn't been taken off our board" in QB-needy Tampa Bay.

Smith also said he's seen Oregon's Marcus Mariota make all the throws an NFL quarterback needs to make.

The Seahawks get to shrug at all this, of course. Not only are they down at No. 31 overall in the first round, light years from the Bucs right now on and off the field, they are in no dire need for a front-line QB at the draft -- or forseeable ones after this, either. They have a franchise quarterback in Russell Wilson who is only 26 and just finished his third season.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider said last week the team and Wilson's agent, Mark Rodgers, are in negotiations to give Wilson a new contract beyond his rookie one that is due to end following the 2015 season -- and not even pay the third-round pick in 2012 $800,000 this year.

  Comments