I'm like the Seahawks, just 21 days removed from another run through the Super Bowl. So I've had about as much time and interest as my wife in the NFL combine and upcoming draft. You can imagine how much that is (isn't).
That's why I was glad to be sitting near Rob Rang for much of my week in Indianapolis.
Rang, a history teacher at Mount Tahoma High School in Tacoma, immerses himself in this. The senior national draft analyst for CBS Sports and The Sports Exchange has been regarded for years as one of the most preeminent NFL draft experts out there.
So I asked him for a run down of what he saw and felt of the combine that is ending today in Indiana.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
"The 2015 draft is a good one," Rang said from a corridor of Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday afternoon. "That might surprise a lot of people, because you know 2014 was so spectacular. This is not as good a class as last year's group. But what was exciting about the combine is there were so many more players who are choosing to participate."
That's in contrast to recent combines. Agents have advised new clients to not throw, or not run the 40-yard dash or whatever because of injury concerns or a belief the player's stock couldn't get any higher.
Not this time. Oregon's Marcus Mariota threw, and brilliantly. Florida State's Jameis Winston also threw on Saturday, a day after reports he had a "dead" throwing shoulder looked at last week in Indianapolis. And those quarterbacks are considered the likely top two or so picks in the draft that begins April 30; Rang thinks they may go 1-2 to Tampa Bay and Tennessee.
I heard Winston acknowledge in his press meeting on Friday that he had had an MRI on the shoulder. Then again, many players had many MRIs ordered by the combine's notoriously thorough and prodding medical-examination team.
"I've been going to the combine since 2007 -- been one of the members of the media allowed in (the stadium bowl) to watch since 2007 -- and I've never seen the quarterbacks throw as well as Winston and Mariota and did (Saturday)." Rang said.
Rang likes the depth in this draft, particularly in linemen and running backs. Those are two areas of need for Seattle, the former for now and the latter for whenever Marshawn Lynch decides he's finished playing -- which, no, as we've been asserting here, is not going to be before next season.
One more postscript to that galling nonsense from Saturday night: A source with direct knowledge of the team's negotiations with Lynch's representative confirmed to me late Saturday after I landed at SeaTac from Indianapolis what agent Doug Hendrickson tweeted Saturday night: The Seahawks have no new deal with Lynch.
At the end of the video above I tease to what Rang thinks the Seahawks will do with the 31st, 62nd, 93rd overall and so on picks -- 10 or perhaps 11 in all -- in this draft. I'll post that video and story soon here.
--The Seahawks this morning announced capacity at CenturyLink Field for games will increase by 1,000 new, padded seats atop the south deck. The two new section are being attached to the existing ends of the top deck, near the "12th Man" flag-raising ceremony just before each kickoff.
The release goes on to state:
"Current season ticket holders will have priority to relocate in the Toyota Fan Deck through the seat relocation process in the spring. Remaining seats will be offered to the Blue Pride waiting list, which is capped at 12,000 seats. There are an additional 52,000 on the Blue Pride Notification List."
The Seahawks provided these renderings of what the new sections will look like. As you can see, primo parking for anyone who drives a red Toyota pickup to a game: